ChasNote

20 May 2006

Tivo-Proofing "Lost": Product Placement Turned Inside Out

All sorts of good stuff waiting for me at PVRBlog after falling two weeks behind on my reading! Such as:
"Tonight's [May 3] episode of Lost -- a show already so deeply embedded with secret signs and clues -- will feature details about the episode sprinkled within ads themselves. This is both brilliant and frightening. I can't recall wanting to watch commercials other than the annual Super Bowl but tonight I'll actually refrain from hitting the FFWD button so I don't miss anything."

Matt hopes this kind of Tivo-proofing won't become too common, but one thing I like about it: It forces marketers to think hard about what the content-makers are doing to engage with the content-consumers. If you want to join the conversation, you have spend some time listening! As Matt points out, "it must take tremendous planning to have every company with a commercial to film it featuring some tidbit from the show."

3 Comments:

  • I think the effort made is comendable, but at the end of the day, the only question I ask is whether this type of marketing is effective. Will consumers be drawn in to act as planned or will consumers simply brush it off as yet another marketing ploy?

    By Blogger Mostskillz, at 11:59 AM  

  • hey nice blog, remember to visit my blog at Keyword Scraper

    By Blogger meow, at 1:06 AM  

  • I was just searching blogs,and I found your site, Friend! I like it!
    Please accept my compliments and wishes for your happiness and success.
    If you have a moment, please take a look at my site:
    games center
    It pretty much covers games center related issues.
    All the best!

    By Blogger Paul Adams, at 12:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home